Yield: 4 Sandwiches
Prep time: 30 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 50 Min
- 2 TB Unsalted Butter
- 2 TB AP Flour
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Dash of Nutmeg
- 4 TB Unsalted butter
- 8 large slices of Sourdough Bread
- 4 TB Whole Grain Mustard
- 12 oz French Ham, thinly sliced
- 12 oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 4 Eggs, fried
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add in flour and whisk together for a couple minutes then slowly pour in the milk and bring the temperature up to medium.
- In between whisking, use a spatula to remove any bits from the sides of the pan.
- Whisk until the sauce has thickened, and then add in salt and nutmeg.
- Take sauce off the heat and set aside top come to room temperature.
- To assemble, spread 1/2 TB of butter on the outside of each slice of bread.
- Spread a heaping spoonful of bechamel sauce on the inside of one slice of bread, and a spoonful of whole grain mustard on the other side.
- Spread 2 oz of Gruyere cheese on top of the side with bechamel sauce.
- Place 3 oz of ham on top of the side with mustard and close up the sandwich.
- Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
- Bring a nonstick pan to medium low heat and place the buttered sandwiches in the pan and cover with a lid.
- After the first side is golden brown flip and cover until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted (about 2-3 minutes per side)
- Transfer the sandwiches to a tin foil lined sheet pan and spread another spoonful of bechamel on top of each sandwich.
- Place 1 oz of gruyere cheese on top of the bechamel.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the sandwiches until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @diningbykelly on instagram and hashtag it # diningbykelly