Amigo’s BBQ Chicken Salad
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite restaurants growing up. I crave this salad all the time, and finally decided to come up with a recipe to make it at home.
Yield: 3 servings
Amigo's BBQ Chicken Salad
This recipe is adapted from Amigo's Cafe in Hilton Head Island, SC.
Prep time: 45 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 55 Min
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Limes, juiced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder (optional)
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Hickory Bourbon Stubb's® BBQ Sauce
- Avocado Oil
Salad and Assembly
- 8 cups Romaine, finely chopped
- 1 cup Raw Sweet Corn, cut off the cob
- 1 cup Black Beans
- 1/2 cup Mild White Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup Tomato, diced
- 1 cup Flour Tortilla Strips, about 1-2 inch pieces
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Kosher Salt
- Lime wedges and Cilantro for serving
- Whisk together ingredients.
- Sear chicken breasts in a pan with oil for a couple minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan and dice up the chicken.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and add in BBQ sauce.
- Sauté chicken in the sauce until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
Salad and Assembly
- To make the fried tortilla strips, add about 2 cups of vegetable oil in a pot.
- Once the oil has reached 350F (you can test the oil by dropping in a piece of tortilla) fry the tortilla strips for a couple minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer tortilla strips to a paper towel lined plate to drain off excess oil and season with salt.
- Combine romaine, corn, cheese, beans and tortilla strips in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss with the dressing and season the salad with salt to taste.
- Finish the salad by topping with chopped tomato and BBQ chicken.
- Service with lime wedges and cilantro.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @diningbykelly on instagram and hashtag it #diningbykelly